Extra listening: The Notting Hill Carnival
As we have seen in the text from the East End, there can be conflicts and mistrust when different cultures interact in an urban setting. The Notting Hill Carnival in London addresses just this issue. It is a celebration of Caribbean culture started specifically to replace racial hostility between local whites and Caribbean immigrants with multicultural fun. Now it is the biggest carnival in the world outside Brazil!
Listen to find out more about this carnival. Take notes to help you answer these questions:
- How long has the carnival been on the London calendar?
- What are the roots of this carnival?
- What aspects of Caribbean culture are prominent during the carnival?
- When does the carnival take place?
- What are the “dos” and “don’ts” to remember if you are planning to go to the carnival?